Seeking Persephone is a short four-part historical British romance series based on a novel written by an American romance author. Yes, you may cringe. It has a somewhat sparse production (likely to save money) and a storyline that is not particularly historically accurate or even remotely plausible (my opinion, of course.) Given my upbringing I found the whole thing gruesomely fascinating, and spent a couple of hours being very grateful I escaped my past while watching it.
The author, screenwriter (or perhaps both) follow in the LDS footsteps of Twilight's Stephanie Meyer, which makes it safe for any tween to watch, not that I would recommend that. The lead female, a penniless woman of questionable nobility, is sold to a Duke for over $100,000 pounds for him to marry. Considering marriage to a duke was the ultimate achievement for any woman of the ton, him paying for someone of no rank is so implausible as to be laughable. His reasons for buying this girl are because his steward recommended it so he could avoid his cousin taking over the estate, apparently before his death, because he couldn't figure out another solution to this problem and needed his steward to solve it for him. Uh-huh.
Someone definitely did not do their research.
After marrying, the main characters sleep apart, or talk when they're in bed together, because babies apparently come from the cabbage patch. Okay, seriously, there are a couple of very chaste, tepid kisses, and that's all. I could not detect an atom of sensuality. Accuracy to the time period, the dress of the era, or the British aristocracy in general seems not to have been a big priority. Aside from being almost entirely sexless for a romance, it does portray all women as utterly subservient to the men who buy and sell them. Not a message I would pass along to my youngsters; your mileage may vary.
Since I was brought up in a strict religious atmosphere and spent most of my childhood in church being told I was evil because of my gender, I actually pitied the writer(s) responsible for this. I have walked many, many miles in your moccasins, so I will not make merry at your expense.
Anyway, Seeking Persephone is free to watch on a no-cost streaming service that I will not link to because I can't recommend it and I think it should be removed. You can search for it if you like, but I doubt it will make any intelligent woman grateful for how we're treated by those interested in controlling us and treating us like property. It may make you grateful you escaped whatever persecution your past visited upon you as a child for your gender, private beliefs and/or personal identity. I left this all behind me along with my past, where it belonged, in the dirt.

Comments
Post a Comment