At the moment I'm thinking about what I want to do next year. My guy and I are not getting younger, and he's having issues now that require more of my attention (not yet in decline, just getting older.) One thing I spend about an hour a day on that I don't need to is updating my three blogs. Should I finally give them up and quit online journaling?
Pros: I'd gain an hour of free time every day. I don't have much of an audience now, and that will continue to dwindle as online friends and any other interested parties go elsewhere for content. I'm not really contributing anything meaningful to the online writing community anymore since going freelance (nor do I feel I have to. Did that for fourteen years.) It is a time sink, and since I maintain my own handwritten personal journals I will still have a place to put my thoughts.
Cons: I would probably not spend that free hour doing anything for my guy, as he sleeps in these days, so my mornings would be emptier. I really like blogging every day, especially because I'm out of the spotlight now and don't have to perform. What I do share on my blogs I think is (hopefully) helpful and encouraging. I like reviewing yarns and patterns on the crochet blog a lot. I love thrifting anything and everything, and I can advocate for that online via the blogs without being an obnoxious snob about recycling and repurposing. Even if no one reads it, I like seeing my content online. It's an affirmation.
Things for 2027 are up in the air right now, so I think -- at present, anyway -- that I will keep blogging next year. When I do leave the online world for good, I will let everyone know well in advance (if possible) and post a farewell as I did with my much more famous blog. I like saying goodbye when it matters. In the meantime, you'll just have to keep putting up with me.
Image credit: Image by Mango Matter from Pixabay

Comments
Post a Comment