Skip to main content

Summer's End

In three weeks fall will arrive, and that's the season I dislike most. Everything beautiful and green from summer begins to brown and wither. Pumpkin spice, which I don't care for at all, is everywhere. This is the worst stretch of the hurricane season, too. I saw Halloween decor being put out in stores back in July, and I was so not ready for it. Christmas decor will follow, probably well before Halloween. Fall ends four days before the winter holidays, which I really dread every year.

I am trying to change my attitude toward everything I dislike, so I'm going to enjoy these last three weeks of summer, and then find ways to appreciate fall rather than hate it. Be the observer instead of the prisoner, my spiritual teachings say. I can do that. I can also steer myself into happier directions.

For example, Halloween was wonderful last year because I really got into it. I made Halloween costumes for thrifted stuffed animals.

I had a Halloween party and made a Halloween quilt.

I crocheted a fall cardigan by cloning the design of one I saw in a store display window.

The key to shifting my attitude from negative to positive is to find things I like about something that overall I dislike. I do like the cooler temperatures of fall; my guy and I will be able to hike more often. Halloween is a fun for me holiday and I plan to get into it again through creative projects. I can try new recipes, go on new road trip adventures, and celebrate the season in happy ways. I might even manage the holidays better this year by making a winter quilt.

I'm sorry to see summer go, as always, but I can improve how I welcome fall and winter. After all, it's only nine months until summer starts again, right? Ha.

Image credit: boat and lake image by Albrecht Fietz from Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Glorious. Kinda

Writing up my thoughts on the Chinese drama You are my Glory is going to be one of those head-scratchers; I liked it, it got annoying, I liked it anyway, it got more annoying. In the end I was left feeling like most of the last third of the series was smacking me on the nose for being a romantic and wishing, not for the first time, I was a screenwriter who could get hired to fix this script. Anyway, okay. The premise for this series is actually pretty good: poor but brilliant aerospace engineer Yu Tu (played by the fabulously handsome Yang Yang) crosses paths with fabulously wealth but not-too-bright actress Qiao Jingjing (portrayed by the genuinely pretty Dilraba Dilmurat) who was his high school classmate. He's looking for a new job that pays better; she's in hot water due to an inappropriate product endorsement snafu, and they end up spending a lot of time together. It's a cross between Notting Hill and Apollo Thirteen, sorta kinda. Yu Tu is in a life crisis ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...