Skip to main content

A Day of No Crochet

I admit, I've become entirely addicted to crochet. It's not only helped my spirits as much as my arthritic hands, but I can finish things. Finishing things is the best feeling in the world to me. That said, I'm going through yarn so fast I should probably be leaving scorch marks on my crochet hooks. It's also a good idea for me to not become completely obsessed and risk burning out.

I decided to spend one day off last weekend doing things other than crochet (in other words, fun cooking, project cleaning, machine sewing and even some beading, but no crochet whatsoever.) It wasn't difficult; I had a lot of things to keep me busy.

First I gave my latest lot of Vera Bradley bags a much-needed bath. One reason I love this brand is that they are entirely washable. I hand wash them because the fabric tends to be thin and not colorfast.

To eliminate the inevitable leftovers I converted my recipe for puff pasty chicken pot pie into single-serve chicken pot pies made in oven safe ramekins, based on Claire Risper's recipe (my filling, her crust.) It worked like a charm, and now I can just make as many as we want. Her crust is amazing, btw.

I finally made one panel of my August tote for my calendar project out of the thrifted fabric I chose for it.

I am very proud of the beading, which my hands did not want to do.

During that day I also got caught up on my housework, did the laundry and made a nice dinner for my guy and our nephew, who is visiting. I even made some sugar free granola bars for myself. I did not touch a single skein of yarn, although I wanted to several times as I got ideas. I had fun, and because I did I think going forward I'm going to spend one day of no crochet per weekend so I can do other things, and get over my budding obsession.

Image credit: Image by jacqueline macou from Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Glorious. Kinda

Writing up my thoughts on the Chinese drama You are my Glory is going to be one of those head-scratchers; I liked it, it got annoying, I liked it anyway, it got more annoying. In the end I was left feeling like most of the last third of the series was smacking me on the nose for being a romantic and wishing, not for the first time, I was a screenwriter who could get hired to fix this script. Anyway, okay. The premise for this series is actually pretty good: poor but brilliant aerospace engineer Yu Tu (played by the fabulously handsome Yang Yang) crosses paths with fabulously wealth but not-too-bright actress Qiao Jingjing (portrayed by the genuinely pretty Dilraba Dilmurat) who was his high school classmate. He's looking for a new job that pays better; she's in hot water due to an inappropriate product endorsement snafu, and they end up spending a lot of time together. It's a cross between Notting Hill and Apollo Thirteen, sorta kinda. Yu Tu is in a life crisis ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...