Skip to main content

Funny & Sad

Pretty Crazy is a Korean romantic comedy movie about demonic possession, if there is such a thing in any universe, but it is quite amusing and doesn't come with the usual ejections of pea soup we have in the west. It's very clever, well-written and has a somewhat sad turn of events, but nothing that will make you want to throw anything at your screen.

The story: Jeong Seon-ji (Lim Yoona) is a baker who lives with her father and cousin, and moves in beneath Gil-goo (Ahn Bo-hyun), an unemployed man who has no skills other than winning prizes from claw machines. From the very first night Gil-goo not only falls for the lovely, gentle and quiet Seon-ji, but also witnesses her demonstrating some bizarre behavior in the middle of the night.

In short order Gil-goo discovers his crush is possessed by a demon that wakes up every night at 2 am and must be appeased or she becomes a one-demon wrecking ball. Seon-ji's dad throws out his back trying to cope, and hires Gil-goo to work in the bakery by day, and look after his daughter at night while he recovers.

The demon's demands and behavior are pretty tame by Western standards, too, but you are convinced by Lim Yoona's excellent performance that she really is possessed. For his role Ahn Bo-hyun cast aside his usual very strong and dominating portrayals; he does completely become a meek yet steadfast young man. You're convinced he's dealing with the impossible situation that presents the most unlikely and immovable romantic obstacle: a demon possessing the girl he likes. Both actors gave such great performances that I could not stop watching, particularly in regard to the physical demands of their roles (which are considerable.) The secondary cast collectively also did a wonderful job.

Is Pretty Crazy plausible? If you're Asian you'll have an easier time accepting the plot and conflict. We in the West generally left exorcism behind in the 70's. I found it a little sad, especially in regard to the resolution of the possession. People who are out of control and behaving badly are not really funny or entertaining to me, either. Yet I also liked this movie quite a bit, so there you go. Available on Viki.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Glorious. Kinda

Writing up my thoughts on the Chinese drama You are my Glory is going to be one of those head-scratchers; I liked it, it got annoying, I liked it anyway, it got more annoying. In the end I was left feeling like most of the last third of the series was smacking me on the nose for being a romantic and wishing, not for the first time, I was a screenwriter who could get hired to fix this script. Anyway, okay. The premise for this series is actually pretty good: poor but brilliant aerospace engineer Yu Tu (played by the fabulously handsome Yang Yang) crosses paths with fabulously wealth but not-too-bright actress Qiao Jingjing (portrayed by the genuinely pretty Dilraba Dilmurat) who was his high school classmate. He's looking for a new job that pays better; she's in hot water due to an inappropriate product endorsement snafu, and they end up spending a lot of time together. It's a cross between Notting Hill and Apollo Thirteen, sorta kinda. Yu Tu is in a life crisis ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...