Skip to main content

DNF X 2, Next Up

I invested in both books of Rachel Gillig's Shepherd King duology because 1) it supported my favorite indy bookstore, 2) I wanted to try a new-to-me author and 3) I haven't read any gothic fantasy (actually I didn't know there was such a genre, so there's my excuse.)

The author seems to be extremely well educated, working as a teacher and an artist before trying her hand at the Publishing biz. Orbit did a great job with the cover art. The books are hefty. Those are the positives.

I did read the first book up until page 113, which was a deliberate extra effort on my part. When I don't care for a novel, I rarely go beyond thirty pages. Life is too short to waste on books that leave me cold. So I feel that I did give the author a pretty fair chance to engage me and convince me of her universe.

The story did not, alas. While the characters were obviously, painstakingly crafted, none were sympathetic. Out of boredom I found myself rooting for a while for the classically evil stepmother, as at least she was a little interesting. One of the characters speaks in nothing but verse in italics (so you know they're thinking it!) and that became tedious after the first conversation. The protagonist was a darker Mary Sue who basically broke all the rules of the world-building for no logical reason I could fathom. Also, some of the word choices, particularly for the families and some of the locations, seemed rather unfortunate.

The biggest problem: there are magical cards as the center of the conflict, something like Tarot but not really, and probably added as a hopefully shrewd marketing tool if the books blew up and there was an op for merchandising. Yet for some reason I kept involuntarily envisioning Pokemon every time the cards were mentioned, inventing cute little critters in my head to go with the supposedly terrifying powers of these cards, which I admit was entirely inappropriate given the gravity of the story.

Please note: I was born long before the card playing/fandom everything generations. I am also not a writer who uses marketing tools as plot devices. Likely my career has suffered because of both.

Anyway, I finally gave up on page 113. I have no intention of reading book two. I will donate the books to another favorite indy bookseller of mine so they can reach someone who may appreciate gothic fantasy of this nature.

Next up is a blind date with a book: Dead Ends by Sandra Balzo. Perhaps it will prove an interesting mystery that I don't figure out in the first chapter. A girl can always hope. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Glorious. Kinda

Writing up my thoughts on the Chinese drama You are my Glory is going to be one of those head-scratchers; I liked it, it got annoying, I liked it anyway, it got more annoying. In the end I was left feeling like most of the last third of the series was smacking me on the nose for being a romantic and wishing, not for the first time, I was a screenwriter who could get hired to fix this script. Anyway, okay. The premise for this series is actually pretty good: poor but brilliant aerospace engineer Yu Tu (played by the fabulously handsome Yang Yang) crosses paths with fabulously wealth but not-too-bright actress Qiao Jingjing (portrayed by the genuinely pretty Dilraba Dilmurat) who was his high school classmate. He's looking for a new job that pays better; she's in hot water due to an inappropriate product endorsement snafu, and they end up spending a lot of time together. It's a cross between Notting Hill and Apollo Thirteen, sorta kinda. Yu Tu is in a life crisis ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...