Skip to main content

Depression Season

When summer ends every year it seems like the whole world gets excited. There's the arrival of Fall, which everyone loves for the dying leaves, the chilly temps that force them to wear too many clothes, the dubious charms of Pumpkin Spice everything, the holidays of too much indulgence and over-eating alongside family members they avoid for the rest of the year. At the very end of it Santa doesn't arrive but everyone spends too much money on gifts and pretends they're happy while lying to their kids.

Fall is, in my opinion, a season that brings out the worst in people. I tolerate it rather than go along with everyone else and pretend I like it. The only reason I welcome Winter, a season that I also don't care for, is because it means Fall is over.

It's easy to become depressed when you're trapped in a time of year filled with things and holidays that make you unhappy. The trick, I've learned, is to focus on the few things you do like and let those things matter above all the depressing stuff. Halloween is my second favorite holiday (the day after Christmas is #1), and I like making decorations for it and choosing candy for the trick or treaters. Last year I had a little Halloween party for us as well, which was fun, and I'm planning to do that again this year.

I'm going to write for pleasure a Halloween-themed short story, too. That's something that I haven't done for a few years now.

Once Halloween goes, I usually had National Novel Writing Month to keep me from slipping into the depression abyss, but that imploded last year. I've looked around for an alternative like this one, but as always I have to make the day job my first priority. My schedule will be busy until the middle of December, so I likely won't have time to write an extra novel. Maybe I can do a few more short stories.

Thanksgiving means I can cook all day (always a good thing), it's fun to think up some different dishes to go with the bird, and it's a day off from the dismal aspects of Fall. I will be happy planning for that.

I can crochet heavier projects, and no doubt I'll be making more variations of those that make me happy. My calendar project is winding down, too; I have only three more bags to make this year. I'll focus on those and try to make them special.

I am meditating every day and my spiritual teachings are guiding and helping me so much. They've really been what got me through my guy's surgery, all the drama other people dumped on me and my own health issues, and I expect they will help me tremendously with the rest of it.

That's all I have to look forward to, but it's enough. I may become a little depressed now and then -- it's natural given the stress of this unhappy season -- but I have alternatives to dropping into the pits. Making sure I focus on the positive is what will make all the difference.

Image credit: Swan image by Fr. Romain Marie Bancillon from Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Triangle

The Inheritors (also known as The Heirs ) is an older k-drama that is more like an American soap opera, and yet has one of the best high-school love triangles I've ever seen. As the illegitimate son of a wealthy conglomerate chairman, Kim Tan (Lee Min-ho) was exiled to study in California so that his older half-brother could be groomed to step into their father's shoes. Instead he mostly surfs and goofs off. He meets Cha Eun-sang (Park Shin-hye), who comes to LA in order to escape her dismal life in Korea while bringing wedding money to her older sister, only to find out her sister has lied about her marriage, and is living in squalor. After the sister takes the money and runs off, leaving Eun-sang with no place to stay, Tan ends up alternately taking care of her and making her situation worse. He also falls for her, but she finally connects with a friend and returns to Korea. The money her sister took ends up forcing Eun-sang and her speech-impaired mom to mov...

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...