Skip to main content

Mushroom Season

Each morning and evening when I walk the dogs I've been noticing delicate white mushrooms springing up along the roadside. They seem to bud, bloom and wither in 24 hours, which intrigued me.

I did a search and discovered they could be Bolbitus Titubans, or Yellow Fieldcap mushrooms. Not poisonous, not really edible, and one of the shortest fruiting mushrooms that appear after rain in pastures and where there is deadfall. All that fits.

They do look like fried eggs on top of their very skinny stems.

Every time I see mushrooms I'm reminded of how little I know about them, so I've started looking them up online to see if I can tentatively identify them. Of course you should never eat a mushroom you don't know 100% for sure is edible, and I wouldn't (not a fan of eating them, actually), but I am fascinated by how many varieties of mushrooms there are here. It's fun to see if I can find a match for what grows around our home.

Comments