Skip to main content

Last Month

To start July on a happy note I made a basket out of fun bulky yarns to hold a collection of the more yarns with which to play.

Over on the crochet blog I'm doing a series of posts about what you can make from one skein of yarn, so first I made a baby bird.

I also made a patternless tray basket out of a single skein of Chinese t-shirt yarn.

I crocheted a patternless gift bag out of one thrifted remnant skein.

I crocheted a liner for the art yarn gathering basket I made back in June.

I made this throw out of an unusual, very pretty yarn, a skein of which I got in a mystery box.

I altered two pair of trousers into shorts and tailored a pair of pajama pants to fit me better.

I completed the July tote for my calendar project.

I made a little basket out of wool blend boucle yarn and two others from my stash to hold my rescued embroidery threads.

I made a bag for my journal from a project in GreenCraft magazine's Summer issue.

I made this holiday hat with one skein of Christmas colored variegated yarn.

I crocheted this dishcloth while working on my tension issues with cotton yarn (you can see the problem I have by the difference in the first bottom rows versus the rest of the piece.)

While I had my beads out for the July tote I also made two meditation malas and two bracelets in colors I like just for fun.

I crocheted a cowl/infinity scarf combo of my own design from one skein of beautiful art yarn.

I made a pair of slipper socks while testing a crochet pattern to see if it was suitable for a beginner (and it was.)

Finally I crocheted a bed-size ripple afghan out of glitzy chenille yarn, which we will put to use in the guest room during the holidays.

I'm really happy with how much I did over the last month. Part of this is due to the fact that I had a nice long vacation, but summer always inspires me, too. Let's see how much I can get done in August.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Better than Fried

I cut some chives from the kitchen garden to make garlic-chive baked fries for dinner. This is a great side dish for veggie burgers. Click here for the recipe from Taste of Home.com.

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...