Skip to main content

Released

At the time I'm writing this post (April 20th, the 2nd anniversary of my mother's death) I'm on the third day of recovery after quitting my last bad habit. I now do absolutely nothing that is unhealthy for my body. Quitting this last thing won't make much difference; it's not about living longer, or being healthier, really. It's about shedding the final toxic influence of my past, and finding peace.

It's taken me a very long time to get to a place where I could let go of my last bad habit. My physical issues, some of which will never heal, were the main problem, I think, although I've had plenty of emotional issues, too, including severe depression. Most of the things we do that are bad for us are a form of self-medication.

I define it as the weight of existence. By the time you get toward the end of your life, you may carry a lot of burdens and secrets and trauma that you can't comfortably share with anyone. Those are really hard to lug around, but they tend to stay with you no matter what you do to cope. Bad habits really provide only temporary comfort, and do nothing to heal you. Once you realize that, you can let go if you want to. I do.

Choosing to live for yourself, in the moment, and refusing to share that space with anyone or anything that is not beneficial to you, is a very selfish thing to do. I've never put myself first, so even the process seems alien to me. Yet after 50 years of financially, physically and emotionally supporting others, and giving myself almost no attention other than what I needed to do to keep going in my servitude, I decided it's time to focus on me. This is just another milestone in pursuit of that goal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Glorious. Kinda

Writing up my thoughts on the Chinese drama You are my Glory is going to be one of those head-scratchers; I liked it, it got annoying, I liked it anyway, it got more annoying. In the end I was left feeling like most of the last third of the series was smacking me on the nose for being a romantic and wishing, not for the first time, I was a screenwriter who could get hired to fix this script. Anyway, okay. The premise for this series is actually pretty good: poor but brilliant aerospace engineer Yu Tu (played by the fabulously handsome Yang Yang) crosses paths with fabulously wealth but not-too-bright actress Qiao Jingjing (portrayed by the genuinely pretty Dilraba Dilmurat) who was his high school classmate. He's looking for a new job that pays better; she's in hot water due to an inappropriate product endorsement snafu, and they end up spending a lot of time together. It's a cross between Notting Hill and Apollo Thirteen, sorta kinda. Yu Tu is in a life crisis ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...