Skip to main content

For Less Than Eight Bucks

I thrifted a lot of yarn that (weirdly) no one challenged me over during the bidding, and won it for $7.99. It arrived last week right before Thanksgiving.

Altogether there were 18 big skeins of yarn in the box, mostly acrylic with a few wool blends. Quite a few were missing labels but they're likely supersaver or big baby yarn brands. Nothing smells at all, and all but one of the skeins are in pristine condition. One got something dribbled on it, which I already saw from the listing pics (and that was probably why no one else wanted the lot.) Luckily acrylic yarn washes up nicely.

200 gram Caron Cakes like these run $19.99 on Amazon.

Scarfie yarn costs $11.99 per skein on Amazon. My guy and I stopped by JoAnn last week for some fake pointsettias and I noticed even on sale yarn prices are astronomical, so I'm glad I've been able to thrift mine.

Why did I invest in another lot of yarn, you ask? I'm going to do another calendar project next year, and for my idea I need a pile of yarn. Stay tuned to hear the details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel