Skip to main content

Hop On

Unstoppable is one of my favorite movies of all time, thanks to Denzel Washington, Chris Pine and Rosario Dawson, a wonderfully simple plot, and almost nonstop action laced with the perfect amount of character depth and development in a film format.

The premise: Based on true events, the movie depicts what happens when a slacker railroad employee makes a series of mistakes that turns a train into a speeding, unmanned runaway missile of molten phenol and diesel fuel. The unlikely saviors are Frank Barnes (played beautifully by Denzel), a 28-year veteran railroader being forced to retire with half-benefits, and Will Colson (Chris's best role to date, I think), a newly-hired rookie having family problems due to jealousy over his pretty young wife. These two start out not liking each other, but are forced to set that aside in order to chase and catch the runaway before it derails and destroys a highly populated area.

This is a very blue-collar workplace sort of story that shows how ordinary people can overcome immense difficulties, come up with innovative solutions, and will cheerfully put their own lives on the line for the greater good. It dramatizes the incident on which it was based, but does that very well. I havve to stop talking about how things were versus how they are now because I'll just offend everyone, but let's say it's not a story I would expect to happen today.

Downsides: Zero. I can say that about only a handful of films, too. Denzel and Chris are wonderful, totally believable and enchanting, and Rosario is absolute perfection as the rebellious yardmaster trying to help them. Unstoppable is available to watch for free with ads on Tubi, and worth every minute of the 98 minute watch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Glorious. Kinda

Writing up my thoughts on the Chinese drama You are my Glory is going to be one of those head-scratchers; I liked it, it got annoying, I liked it anyway, it got more annoying. In the end I was left feeling like most of the last third of the series was smacking me on the nose for being a romantic and wishing, not for the first time, I was a screenwriter who could get hired to fix this script. Anyway, okay. The premise for this series is actually pretty good: poor but brilliant aerospace engineer Yu Tu (played by the fabulously handsome Yang Yang) crosses paths with fabulously wealth but not-too-bright actress Qiao Jingjing (portrayed by the genuinely pretty Dilraba Dilmurat) who was his high school classmate. He's looking for a new job that pays better; she's in hot water due to an inappropriate product endorsement snafu, and they end up spending a lot of time together. It's a cross between Notting Hill and Apollo Thirteen, sorta kinda. Yu Tu is in a life crisis ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...