Skip to main content

Steampunked

Back in June I watched dystopian steampunk film Mortal Engines on Netflix, primarily to see how convincing the world building was, and also because it was going away on June 30th. I'm a selective fan of very good steampunk, as long as it's not ridiculous. This flick has pretty decent special effects, which made it watchable. The conflict, characters and the world-building plausibility, not so much.

Basically a thousand years after an apocalyptic war leaves much of the earth scorched, poisoned and useless, cities have gone mobil like humongous tanks, and race around gobbling up smaller towns and bergs. It makes for cool special effects but I never really understood why you'd turn an entire city into a cannibalistic tank. Seems like a lot to haul around. Anyway, London has become an enormous predator city and is also secretly building a not-so-secret weapon using thousand year old tech that was responsible for nearly destroying the world last time there was that big war. Yes, that should end well.

In the midst of all this hoopla there's a slightly disfigured girl seeking revenge, a poor but kind-hearted boy who gets caught up in her quest, another, much-better-off girl who finds out her father is not the great guy she thought he was, and her guy sidekick, a really cool Asian chick who runs around causing random chaos as she hunts the disfigured girl and dodges the big bad guy, the big bad guy (who got dumber with every moment that passed) and lots of flashbacks to a past that is supposed to tie it altogether. I followed the entangled mess okay, but I think it probably confused half the audience. Too many characters with too much baggage dressed up like interesting folks but just there to jump into every action scene without enough time to tell their stories = disappointing movie.

I'm not sorry I watched it, but with some judiciously editing and a few major changes in the world-building it could have been done a lot better. Not available on Netflix anymore, alas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Glorious. Kinda

Writing up my thoughts on the Chinese drama You are my Glory is going to be one of those head-scratchers; I liked it, it got annoying, I liked it anyway, it got more annoying. In the end I was left feeling like most of the last third of the series was smacking me on the nose for being a romantic and wishing, not for the first time, I was a screenwriter who could get hired to fix this script. Anyway, okay. The premise for this series is actually pretty good: poor but brilliant aerospace engineer Yu Tu (played by the fabulously handsome Yang Yang) crosses paths with fabulously wealth but not-too-bright actress Qiao Jingjing (portrayed by the genuinely pretty Dilraba Dilmurat) who was his high school classmate. He's looking for a new job that pays better; she's in hot water due to an inappropriate product endorsement snafu, and they end up spending a lot of time together. It's a cross between Notting Hill and Apollo Thirteen, sorta kinda. Yu Tu is in a life crisis ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...