Skip to main content

Whodunit? Everyone!

I decided to watch School Spirits on Netflix because I was a little bored with Asian dramas, and managed to get through all eight episodes without giving up, although sometimes I was tempted. This is a somewhat odd high school drama with some merits: none of the actors are famous or especially attractive, the premise is not the usual high school nonsense, and the story does move along at an okay pace.

The series follows the sad tale of Maddie Nears, a teenage spirit who wakes up at her high school to discover she's disappeared in real life. She meets other ghosts who assure her that she's dead, and was probably murdered, although no one has found her body yet. The already dead spirits (which includes one earnest teacher who is trying to get everyone to accept their death and cross over) help Maddie investigate her murder. She's hindered by the fact that she can't leave the school premises and has too many suspects. A bonus turns out to be Maddie's best friend, Simon, who is the only living person who can see her.

I had a lot of problems with some of the excessively skewed storytelling choices, such as how every adult in the series is depicted as either criminal, idiotic, ineffectual or uncaring. Maddie is presented as the only adult, honestly. I know that's all done to cater to the kids, but if you want the grownups to take it seriously, a range of more realistic adults would be better.

Unhappily there are far, far too many red herrings and suspects. Two or three would have been standard, four a stretch but okay, but they went with five. I got tired of the suspicion shifts moving at lightning speed; not even the Kennedy assassination had so many conspiracies. The character of Maddie's single parent alcoholic mother is so over the top atrocious that in reality the kid would have been taken away from her and put in foster care long, long ago.

By the time I got to the last episode and got the solution to the puzzle (which wasn't a solution, because there will be a season two) I'd already decided I'd had enough. I'm not going to recommend this one unless you're a teen who hates all adults, in which case you will probably adore it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel