Skip to main content

Ages of Writers

I stopped reading Stephen King some years back because my tolerance for dark, violent horror novels decreased dramatically with age. He's probably the best male American writer alive, and he definitely inspires most writers to do better with their stories; I am one of those. I've just always wished he'd do something else besides horror. Well, there was that one book on writing, but that was really an autobiography dressed up as writing advice.

Anyway, I have a family member who does like this author very much, so when his You Like it Darker came out, I invested in a copy as a gift. I didn't intend to read it myself, just like a dieting person doesn't intend to eat a Twinkie they purchase for a friend who never shows up to claim it. It was just sitting there, I can say, for weeks, and it is Stephen King . . . .

The book is a collection of never-before-published short stories, and they're much different from those I read in Night Shift forty-odd years ago. He might think we like it darker, but these stories are much lighter (for Mr. King, anyway.) There is horror, and supernatural themes, but the author invests more time and thought into the storytelling and characters. He does what my grandmother called ruminating -- a lot. It's still Stephen King, and the writing is fabulous. It's just a different kind of fabulous: less shocking, more thoughtful.

I think as writers we do change as we mature, and that shows in our work. I read a few of my old books from two decades ago this year and they are very different from what I write now. As a young writer I had a very focused, intense voice, and I thought I knew it all. Now I am older, gentler, and more affectionate toward my characters -- and I've learned to be more critical of myself, also in a kinder fashion. What I know could always use improvement. :) I wonder if that's where Mr. King is now, in the age of self-discovery. If you like the writer, you'll definitely like this book -- but don't expect Night Shift Stephen King. This is an older and perhaps wiser version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel