Skip to main content

Seeing 2023

At the end of every year I like to look back at what I've accomplished over the last twelve months (I'm running a little late on this, obviously.) Seeing what I've made this past year is fun as usual, but it's also shown me that I've made it a habit now to step outside my comfort zone. The art prompts I did way back in January set that tone for 2023, I think.

Recycling and upcycling was always on my mind, as was my resolution not to buy new if I could instead thrift it. 2023 brought me new resources and taught me that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get nice materials for your projects.

The last twelve months taught me more about my increasing limitations, especially with hand work. Making this kit wasn't easy, but it remains one of my favorite projects of the year.

I maxed out on sample garments to upcycle and repair (I still have a pile to work on) but I had fun finishing this lacy tunic.

Making a little quilt out of some gifted crazy blocks helped me remember Mom in a productive way.

While making these UFO Dresden plate patchwork pieces into pillows for my office sofa I had trigger finger set in on both hands, but eventually I found splints to help with that.

I kept up with my art quilting, and finished some interesting larger projects.

I also stopped trying to control everything. Making this quilt from a pound of thrifted clothing fabric chosen by someone else was definitely a blast.

I didn't make a lot of bags in 2023, but the few I did made me happy.

Working with fabric I'd thrifted to make things like this project bag always gave me a sense of satisfaction, too. One less yard going to the landfill . . . .

Another of my favorite thrifts: this little folding tray, which I use as an editing desk.

I did a lot of lot buying, often via auctions online. One of my favorite thrifted wins from this year was the collection of quilt kits that I've been making into things like this bread cover/table pad.

I even tried diamond painting again, and it didn't kill me.

Neither did cross stitch.

My one major accomplishment for 2023 was finishing the recycled linen quilt I started in 2022. For this one I used only scrap linen for the patchwork, and hand embroidery for the quilting and embellishing. Designing this and making it by hand with slow stitch allowed me to feel a strong connection to the past, and all the makers who came before me and machines.

Toward the end of the year I started crocheting again, and found it was good exercise for my stiff fingers.

I also found a way to knit again using a loom.

I came up with a way to recycle old faux pearl bracelets and necklaces to make pretty Christmas trees.

I also learned how to make amigurumi creatures with crochet.

I'm proud that I thrifted almost everything I needed for my quilting, textile and yarn projects this year, but I also discovered some real gems mixed in with the faux. This gorgeous art quilt, for example, came from a lot of three small quilts I won for a bid of $9.99.

Likewise no one challenged me for this adorable original watercolor that I bid $14.95 on in hopes of winning it as new art for my home office. It was painted by a pro who once worked in the film industry, but it's the quilt show it depicts and the beautiful colors that drew me.

I also learned to check everything I thrifted carefully and do my research. When I thrifted that seven pounds of faux pearls for my Christmas tree project, I found a couple of real, valuable pieces like this cultured pearl necklace with a 10K gold clasp mixed in the lot.

Finishing the calendar scroll project gave me a great deal of satisfaction, too.

What I think changed for me last year was the sense of joy I get from creating. In years past I've always liked what I've made, but the majority of it was made as a gift or with the intention of making someone else happy, so there was also a fair amount of stress involved. In 2023 I did almost none of that, but simply made things for the sake of making and practicing and learning. I was happier last year than I've been in a long time, and I think that's the reason. I just pleased myself for once, and that made all the difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel