Skip to main content

Playing Games

I don't know why I'm curious about video game dramas lately, but watching the Chinese romantic gaming drama Falling into Your Smile mostly made me glad I've never much liked video games beyond the occasional bout of Scrabble with the computer, or wordl. It had some moments that nearly redeemed its plodding and predictable plot, but its focus on the unimportant never wavered, which resulted in missing some excellent storytelling opportunities. The video game they used for the series seemed pretty bizarre and yet boring to me, also odd, but because I don't know anything about these games I'll recuse myself from commenting on that.

The premise: after graduating college a young woman named Tong Yao (Cheng Xiao) is wasting her time mainly playing group video games when she's recruited to join the professional gaming team ZGDX. This is supposedly due to her outstanding performance in playing this one video game, but as she becomes the only female professional player in China that seems suspect. Her teammates show a few glimmers of doubt before fully embracing her as one of their own, which seemed unlikely, too. Yao starts butting heads with her team captain, the tall and fabulous Lu Sicheng (Xu Kai) as they play their way toward the national championships, and then of course they fall in love.

What had me scratching my head from the start was the romance between Yao and Cheng. She's whiny, cries over basically everything, and seemed to me about as likeable as the common cold; he's broody and mysterious (at least he is for two episodes before his inexplicable love for Yao turns him into a quivering bunny.) They have zero chemistry, and I can't see any reason they would even be attracted to each other. I thought the wealthy gal who plays in the secondary romance was the better character, and would have suited Cheng much more. But no, she's off falling in love with this kid on an opposing team who with her has a hundred times more chemistry than the leads (their romance outshines the leads, too.)

Another thing that puzzled me: while the different subconflicts were fine, there were so many chances at better storytelling that were there but strangely left to fizzle out. An ongoing rivalry between Cheng and a South Korean player called Hierophant that seemed like it was going to become epic, as it had so much potential -- the need to dominate each other, possibly a third for a romantic triangle, and definitely the dark and sinister vibe coming from Hierophant, but nope. They just presented the conflicts, did nothing with them, and let all the possibility evaporate. Same thing with Yao's ex-boyfriend, who is another professional player -- he could have caused them both some major problems. Mostly all he did was sulk until at the end, when he praises his ex. Sure, he would.

Falling into Your Smile will likely appeal to the youngsters who are heavily invested in video gaming and such. For me it was a lesson in romance failure, and what not to do with storytelling opportunities. Available on Viki.com and Netflix.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel