Skip to main content

Tough News

Having diabetes means not much in the way of good news, especially as the disease progresses. I'm having more trouble controlling my blood sugar lately, even while eating the same diet as before and faithfully taking my meds. My doctor had me take a carotid ultrasound test, and the results showed that my neck arteries are twice as blocked as they were last year. Despite my strict diet my cholesterol level has been super high lately, but unfortunately I can't tolerate any of the meds that might lower it.

What does this mean? If I can't control my blood sugar I'll have to start taking insulin by needle, which will be more dangerous and may have consequences. And if we can't figure out how to lower my cholesterol, eventually my arteries will become completely clogged, which means I die by stroke or a heart attack.

Yes, it's depressing, especially as I've stepped up my exercise and adhere strictly to my diet, but it's also not unexpected. I've always known my life expectancy has been shortened by diabetes; according to the latest calculations we lose 6 years, so that means I might live to be 71 if I'm lucky -- but I've never been lucky. :) I'm probably at stage three of atherosclerosis, so I'd shave off another five years of my life. So, 66 is probably a more realistic life expectancy for me.

I will keep fighting, of course. I will go on the needle if I have to. I'll exercise more, eat more carefully and try to lose more weight. I'll stay optimistic, too. But with all that, I think it's time to start considering how I want to live what's left of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Glorious. Kinda

Writing up my thoughts on the Chinese drama You are my Glory is going to be one of those head-scratchers; I liked it, it got annoying, I liked it anyway, it got more annoying. In the end I was left feeling like most of the last third of the series was smacking me on the nose for being a romantic and wishing, not for the first time, I was a screenwriter who could get hired to fix this script. Anyway, okay. The premise for this series is actually pretty good: poor but brilliant aerospace engineer Yu Tu (played by the fabulously handsome Yang Yang) crosses paths with fabulously wealth but not-too-bright actress Qiao Jingjing (portrayed by the genuinely pretty Dilraba Dilmurat) who was his high school classmate. He's looking for a new job that pays better; she's in hot water due to an inappropriate product endorsement snafu, and they end up spending a lot of time together. It's a cross between Notting Hill and Apollo Thirteen, sorta kinda. Yu Tu is in a life crisis ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...