Skip to main content

Aggravations

Ten Things That Truly Annoy Me

AI Everything: Suddenly Artificial Intelligence is everywhere, doing everything, and (just in case you're not worried about that) it's also going to kill us all. What can I do about it? Nothing. I have no idea what AI is really doing or could really do, but if the people in charge of it allow it to do dangerous-to-us stuff then I imagine many bad things will happen. And what can I do about that? Nothing.

Censorship Online: I just had to kill a free story as promo plan for my day job because I now have to worry about the people involved in online censorship of anything that is contrary to their personal belief systems. Did someone accidentally erase part of the Constitution?

Doomsdayers: This is like the AI everything thing, in that there is nothing I can personally do to stop Doomsday. Without my meds I likely wouldn't last long no matter what the circumstances. Yet according to some folks I still need ten years of nonperishable food and water hidden in a secret location on my property, lots of guns, and solar generators because the world is coming to an end (but if you use their special code, you'll get a five percent discount on the dried food, guns, solar generators etc. that will help you survive it) Tell you what, if Doomsday arrives, I will be prepared not to survive it. In fact I'll have a not-surviving party at my house, so please stop by. Free barbecue! Ha.

Dump-and-Go Cooking: There are women who love dump-and-go recipes cooking; as the daughter of a chef I am not one of them. Please at least call it something other than a bathroom function euphemism.

Halloween Hate: I loved Halloween when I was a youngster, especially as we were poor and didn't get a lot of treats back then. Our neighbors would often make cookies, candies and donuts for us, too (I still fondly remember one elderly lady who had a glass punch bowl of cider that she would hand out in paper cups along with the most delicious homemade cruellers.) Anyway, if you have a moral/religious objection to Halloween, shut off your porch light and keep your kids home, but please don't tell me not to decorate or hand out treats.

Hearing-Impaired Impatience: I'm sorry I'm going deaf, and I do try not to bother people with my inability to hear them. Sometimes I will ask a person to repeat something they said when I wasn't looking so I can try to read their lips (only when it's very important that I know what they said, like at the doctor's office.) But speaking for all the hearing-impaired, becoming impatient or even nasty with us for something we never asked for in the first place is really unkind.

Mannerless Young People: Someday you will be my age. When you are, I hope you remember the door you let slam in my face, the grocery cart you shoved into my hip, or the way you cut me off on the road because I was driving the speed limit.

Rude Old People: Pushy, impatient, and just downright rude elderly people embarrass me. Just because you're old doesn't mean you can forget your manners, either.

Support My Cause or Else Threats: Any statement someone makes that is a variation of "If you don't support my cause, you are actively supporting the enemy of my cause" is not going to win my support. It's going to make me avoid you and your online cause-hammering no matter what I have to do.

YouTube Quacks: Suddenly YouTube is rife with videos about homemade "cures" for everything from clogged arteries, diabetes, tinnitus and even more serious diseases. Which is basically quackery. Even if you can drink a cocktail of lemon juice, garlic, cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar, all it's probably going to do is give you heartburn or make you puke. Please ignore the quacks, follow your physicians advice and take your meds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel