Skip to main content

Emergency Declaration

Emergency Declaration is a Korean action catastrophe movie that is at times so realistic it might fool you into thinking it's a documentary. At other times there are some quick fixes and heavy-handed plotting that are painfully obvious, so it's a bit of a rollercoaster.

For reasons never defined in the movie, a former biochemist Ryu Jin-seok (Siwan) self-implants something under his arm before boarding a crowded plane headed for Hawaii, where he uses an asthma inhaler to release the contents of the implant in a restroom. This turns out to be a deadly mutated virus that gruesomely kills the first passenger exposed to it, and quickly spreads to the rest. Passengers start to die.

When the pilot tries to get permission to land in the U.S. he's refused. The pilot then dies of the virus, and so does the terrorist. The co-pilot, Choi Hyun-soo (Kim Nam-gil) turns the plane around to head back to Korea, where police detective Gu In-ho (Song Kang-ho), whose wife is on the plane, is fighting to get a vaccine from the company responsible for producing the original virus. Meanwhile, there's also a disgraced pilot, Park Jae-hyuk (Lee Byung-hun), among the passengers on the doomed plane who has to take over flying the aircraft when the co-pilot becomes too sick to function.

There was a lot to like about this movie, despite the sledgehammer plotting and the story hole plugs. I think the last fifteen minutes are probably the best I've ever seen in a catastrophe film, realistically speaking. I would have liked to know why Ryu Jin-seok decided to kill everyone on the plane and himself, but like the motives of so many mass murderers we can never know, so that works, too. Available on Viki.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel