Skip to main content

Back and Forth

I thought I was done with C-dramas, but then I saw a trailer for Road Home and decided to give it a try. Thirty episodes later I was still absorbed, a little puzzled and definitely impressed, although it's going to be tough to explain I liked this second chance at love series so much (unless you grew up in the sixties. Then you might understand.)

Here's the backstory: While in high school rich girl Gui Xiao (Tan Song Yun) meets poor boy Lu Chen (Jing Bo Ran), and they basically fall for each other at first sight. There are flashbacks to their first relationship throughout the series, too, so you know where they came from. After graduation they try to stay together, but Lu Chen goes off to the police academy, while Gui Xiao starts university. Maintaining the long-distance relationship becomes more difficult for both of them, as Lu Chen is a very mature, proud guy of few words and Gui Xiao is immature, talkative and emotional. When her parents get divorced, and his training becomes exhaustive, the couple finally break up.

Ten years later Gui Xiao works in the world of finance and investment, while Lu Chen is a SWAT Captain who specializes in explosive ordinance disposal. They basically live on different planets now, but when Gui Xiao and her coworkers become stranded where Lu Chen is stationed, he's the one she calls. They both realize that they still care for each other, and decide to give long-distance romance another go.

Upfront I have to say that this is a very G-rated romance, and develops so slowly it can be (and does sometimes become) boring. Most of the relationship was scripted to be so unrealistic (and politically correct for China) that it would never work in the west. Also, what Lu Chen does to Gui Xiao through both relationships while always putting his job first is likely to be a little hard for Western women to swallow. For me the way Lu Chen's lifelong problem with his drunken, abusive father is resolved evidently by magic didn't work, as Dad just decides one day to stop being a jerk (which does not happen in real life.)

That said, I found the story oddly charming, thanks to the intensity of the actors. They do not rush or overact their parts through this series. Weirdly it reminded me of a sixties romance, like Gidget, only from a Chinese POV. Although their priorities seem rather screwed up, everyone in the series does behave like an adult. There are no characters sabotaging the relationship or competing for the lead's affections, as is often the case in C-dramas. While there are subplots, mostly involved in Lu Chen's bomb disposal work, they're very much in the background and don't ruin the series. I've seen both lead actors in other productions, and they really brought their A game to this one. I think Jing Bo Ran was especially fabulous at playing Lu Chen's tight-lipped, complex character. Available on Viki.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel