Skip to main content

After the Comet

Black Knight is a short dystopian k-drama series that looks at what life might be like on Earth after a comet strike that wipes out 99% of us. This disaster also turns the Korean peninsula into a barren desert with air so polluted oxygen becomes a commodity. That, water and food are delivered to the social-class-status divided population by superheroic delivery drivers. If that wasn't enough, plans are in the works to provide a new community for the comet survivors, but the snobbish son of the CEO wants it only for society's elite, and takes drastic steps to wipe out the common rabble.

The story loosely revolves around two leads: 5-8 (Kim Woo-bin), a legendary delivery driver who was once involved in a rebellion, and Yoon Sa-Wol (Kang You-seok), a young refugee boy who hero worships 5-8 and wants to become a delivery driver as well. Both become entangled in the plot by Ryu Seok (Song Seung-heon), that snobby CEO's son, to wipe out the refugees so only the best people are saved. There's a driver competition Sa-Wol joins that is beyond brutal, but that's only the beginning . . . and then you start to see that 5-8 has plans of his own for the future world.

This is a very bleak look at a quite dismal turn of events for us and our planet, and some of the science is definitely a stretch (oxygen is produced from processing a non-existant ore.) There is a lot of violence as well, for becoming a delivery driver seems to be the only guarantee of survival for the common people, so they viciously fight for it during the competition. Then there are mutant humans (science also wonky here) who are despised by the CEO son antagonist, and yet may be the only means with which he can go on living. Stakes can't possibly get higher, and everything depends on the highest and lowest in society, but it all comes apart and yet together in the end. I thought it was interesting and at times quite absorbing. Available now on Netflix.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel