Skip to main content

Chilly, But Interesting

Watching the dystopian SF film The Colony was a bit like being trapped in a small, cold room while being forced to listen to other people's rants. Fortunately just as I was ready to give up on the whole thing it turned into a different movie, one that actually engaged me on a couple different levels.

In an unspecified future the elitists of humanity live on Kepler 209, a distant planet that they fled to after Earth became uninhabitable (thanks to humanity, of course.) Only these lucky few have become sterilized by radiation in just two generations (probably from lack of an ozone layer, I'm guessing; almost nothing about Kepler 209 is shown in the film) and want to return to Earth before they literally die out to see if that will jumpstart their reproductive systems. The science there is pretty non-viable, but maybe they have some magic medicine that will help restore their irradiated organs in better conditions. Via some weather stations they left behind they find one small habitable zone and send a mission back to see if they can live there, which supposedly fails. The movie begins with the landing of the second mission.

Blake (brilliantly depicted by Nora Arnezeder) is a member of the second mission, and wants to find her father, who went missing with the first. The landing of her capsule fails miserably, killing one crew member and wounding another. Earth seems to have turned into a giant, featureless tidal estuary that is perpetually wet and misty, and floods every day, so everyone lives in water or mud. There are a few rusting indicators of civilization, and everyone wears clothing (I doubt textiles would have lasted this long under these conditions, but okay.) Raggedy, vicious humans then attack and grab Blake and her commander, who also quickly dies by suicide in captivity. Now Blake is on her own with people she can't communicate with, and then they're attacked by another bunch of raggedy vicious humans who abduct the female children.

Although she has absolutely no reason to help, Blake goes with one of the mothers to rescue her daughter, and ends up a prisoner. She's take to the rotting hulk of a naval ship where the only survivor of the first mission from Kepler (played by Iain Glen) has organized and civilized the "mud people." He welcomes her but sadly tells her that her father is dead. Blake quickly discovers he's a liar, and then goes on her own mission to save the abducted girl, save the mud people and stop the elitists from Kepler from returning to Earth, with mixed results.

The movie had to cram a lot of story into just an hour and forty-four minutes, so there aren't a lot of nuances that probably would have made it better. It's also at times an overly long finger-wagging lecturing soapbox rant about everything that stinks with humanity, so be forewarned. Despite all that, I liked it, mainly due to the acting by Nora Arnezeder. I also nodded to myself over the sterilization via radiation on Kepler 209 plot note, as that's something I've predicted will happen to humans if we leave our planet to colonize Mars. I liked the casting very much, which I thought was pretty spot-on for every role. This definitely isn't a feel-good film, but it was interesting and, when the action picks up, quite engaging. Available on Netflix.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel