Skip to main content

Dining Well on a Budget

This was the bento box meal I ordered when we took my favorite person out to our local Japanese restaurant over the holidays. Like a lot of my dining out experiences it's becoming a fond memory, because it's just too expensive to eat out anymore.

Since going out to lunch now costs $20.00 for the two of us, and dinner runs $35.00 to $40.00, we're dining at home almost exclusively now. This doesn't instantly tame our food budget either; prices at the market require us to shop at four different stores to get the foods we need for the least amount of $$$. I've become an aggressive bargain hunter, too, and never pass up a good deal on anything I regularly use. We're thinking of buying a chest freezer for the garage so we can buy more things on sale and freeze them for later use.

Of course I want us to eat well, but inflation has prompted me to make some changes to how I cook. When I used to make my guy's favorite pasta sauce I thought nothing of adding a pound of lean ground beef (which is now $10.00/lb.). Not anymore; I've cut back on the meat in that recipe to 1/4 of a pound. That still gives it the flavor he likes, we've discovered, and I can make a pound of ground beef stretch to make a quadruple batch, which helps when I freeze portions for future meals.

I make my guy aware of the cost of pricey foods now, and suggest changes he can make to help out with the budget. He used to go through a dozen eggs per week making three fried egg sandwiches for breakfast whenever he wanted them (every other day, really); I've asked him to only make them once a week now and have cereal, waffles, english muffins or bagels instead, which are better for him anyway.

Another thing I'm doing is making half-batches, especially when I try a new recipe for something. I wanted to taste-test a new slow-cooker chili recipe, but I didn't want to waste ingredients if we didn't like it. So I made a half-batch (and we liked it, but it needs some tweaks with the heat level and the ingredients, so I was glad I made a smaller batch.) I also make my staple quickie dinners with less ingredients so I can eliminate any waste. That means two cans of tuna instead of four when I make tuna salad, but my guy and I can eat it for dinner and there's still enough for a sandwich for lunch the next day.

No leftovers go to waste in this house, but I find we get recipe fatigue if I make the same thing over and over, as we're probably going to be eating it for two or three nights. To combat this I'm trying new recipes at least once a week again, and also discussing the week's menu with my guy before we do our weekly shopping to assure I've got things planned that he wants to eat.

Scaling back while dining well puts a lot of pressure on me, both in the shopping and cooking phases, but as any woman will tell you, what else is new? I do what I can to keep my spirits up, and trying new recipes definitely helps. I also give myself permission not to cook if I don't feel like it. That's when my guy gets tuna salad sandwiches, or some of the frozen pizza bread he likes for dinner (as long as I can find them on sale.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel