Skip to main content

Intention List

Happy New Year, everyone. I usually avoid making annual resolutions, mainly as I have enough pressure to deal with, given my job and creative ambitions. Yet for once there are some things I'd like to do in 2023, and I don't think it will bother me if I make a list of New Year's Intentions. So, for this year, I'd like to:

1. Make this year 100% sustainable by not buying any new fabric, trims or notions. This because a) I have plenty on hand and b) it will motivate me to use what I have. I will reserve the right to buy recycled and vintage materials because that's my thing. To save fabric and sample garments from the landfills I expect I'll be buying what I need from Fabscrap.

2. Exercise at least once a day. This is a tough goal for me, but I know it helps with my various health issues, and I need to lose a bit before I reach my ideal weight. I already know I probably won't be able to do this, but I'm going to try.

3. Write a story just for fun. I haven't done this in a few years, so maybe during NaNoWriMo, or maybe I'll just tinker on something a little when I have downtime from the day job.

4. Do another thrift upcycle project. I really loved making over those three Goodwill boxes last year.

5. Clean out the closets. It's really time to start donating things we don't need, like sheets for beds we no longer own, clothes that are too big or small for us to wear, and especially hideous or uninspiring fabrics people have gifted to me that I held onto because I felt bad about getting rid of a gift, etc.

With all the other things I have planned that should keep me out of trouble. I should say that's my main intention for this year. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Glorious. Kinda

Writing up my thoughts on the Chinese drama You are my Glory is going to be one of those head-scratchers; I liked it, it got annoying, I liked it anyway, it got more annoying. In the end I was left feeling like most of the last third of the series was smacking me on the nose for being a romantic and wishing, not for the first time, I was a screenwriter who could get hired to fix this script. Anyway, okay. The premise for this series is actually pretty good: poor but brilliant aerospace engineer Yu Tu (played by the fabulously handsome Yang Yang) crosses paths with fabulously wealth but not-too-bright actress Qiao Jingjing (portrayed by the genuinely pretty Dilraba Dilmurat) who was his high school classmate. He's looking for a new job that pays better; she's in hot water due to an inappropriate product endorsement snafu, and they end up spending a lot of time together. It's a cross between Notting Hill and Apollo Thirteen, sorta kinda. Yu Tu is in a life crisis ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...