Skip to main content

Don't Fly Me to the Moon

After being dazzled by Happiness last year I decided to take a chance and watch The Silent Sea, a Korean near-future dystopian lunar adventure series on NetFlix. It turned out to be a good choice.

This series begins on an Earth with rapidly-dwindling water resources. Water becomes far more valuable than petroleum or gold, and people are subjected to strict rationing, are compelled to euthanize their pets, and live generally miserable lives -- it's pretty much like Dune without the sand worms and still suits. Meanwhile, a team of scientists and soldiers are sent on a mission to a research station on the moon abandoned five years earlier to retrieve some samples left behind there.

From the moment this crew blasts off you know things aren't what they seem. The lead astrobiologist's sister died at the abandoned base along with everyone who worked there, and it's obvious from the start that she's going to find out why. The captain of the crew is remarkably tight-lipped about every detail of the mission. After crash-landing and losing their first crew member to his injuries, they finally fight their way to the base. Then things just get stranger as they discover what they were sent for, how everyone died five years ago, and the fact that someone (or something) is still alive at the base, and wants to kill them.

I thought the production and casting of The Silent Sea was quite impressive, and did a fine job of convincing me everyone was actually on the moon. The cast all did very well with their roles, particularly Gong Yoo as the crew captain Han, Bae Doona as astrobiologst Song and Kim Sun-Young as the mission's physician (she was my favorite character.) The story is rife with irony and rock/hard place choices, but also offers a plausible and (to me) very realistic look at just what the human race will do to survive.

It's possible Netflix will greenlight a second season for The Silent Sea, but I'd personally leave it where it ended, as it made me think a lot -- and I'm not sure I want to know what happens next. :) I do recommend this one as an interesting SF series.

Comments

  1. Great post! Thanks for the recommend. This looks really, really good and I was looking for a new series to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll enjoy it. It certainly kept me absorbed. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel