Skip to main content

Mayfly Love

The premise behind the romantic supernatural Korean film The Beauty Inside is really provocative: what if you fell in love with a man whose body changes into that of a different person every day?

Woo-jin (played by 30+ actors) is a custom furniture designer with a very odd condition: he transforms completely every time he goes to sleep. After he wakes up in the morning he changes into a different body that can be of any age, appearance, race, gender or nationality. It's completely random, and he can't control this change at all. When he becomes a new person his eyesight, body size and language can alter as well. Switching nationalities, for example, leaves him able to understand Korean but only speak in his new body's native language (which he doesn't understand.)

Despite his complicated life Woo-jin manages to get along okay. He works alone, does everything via the internet, and has the support of his childhood best friend and business partner. He even dates, although every girl he sees is destined to be only a one-night stand. Then he meets and falls for Yi-soo (Han Hyo-joo), a furniture store sales woman. He stays awake for two days to have a chance to romance her while in his current tall, handsome male body (played wonderfully by Park Seo-joon.) Of course he can't stay awake forever, so just as things get interesting with Yi-soo Woo-jin falls asleep on the subway, and wakes up as a different person.

Woo-jin can't give up on Yi-soo, and approaches her again, this time in the body of a pretty young woman. He manages to convince her of his condition, and Yi-soo agrees to date him. Their relationship grows from there, and every time they meet Yi-soo never knows who Woo-jin is until he holds her hand and tells her. They seem to have fun with it, too, but gradually the stress starts to get to Yi-soo and affect her job, and she has to go on medication to cope. I don't want to spoil the whole film, so I'll end the description there.

This was a marvelous story, and whoever did the casting for the many faces of Woo-jin gets a gold star from me. There were a lot of very famous actors in this film playing the role of Woo-jin, including Lee Dong-wook, Lee Beom-soo, Go Ah-sung, Park Shin-hye, Seo Kang-joon, and Yoo Yeon-seok to name a few. Despite the fact that most only got cameo-length performances they all did a great job in keeping Woo-jin's character cohesive no matter who was playing him. I did think Park Seo-joon did the best job with the character portrayal, but I'm rather biased there.

There are no special effects in this film, and the supernatural aspects are kept wisely to a minimum. There is a bit of an explanation for Woo-jin's condition toward the end of the movie, but the emphasis was more on what it's like to live this kind of mayfly life and try to have a loving relationship. How Woo-jin manages things like ID cards and passports when he never has the same face is not explained, either, but I was willing to believe he'd find a way. Available to watch on Viki.com for free with lots of commercials.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel