Skip to main content

Love Hurts

The series Tempted (also known as The Great Seducer) starts off with a very handsome student, Kwon SiHyun (Woo Do-hwan), reading a darkly provocative poem in class. This sets the tone for the melodrama, which is loosely based on Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos (for English speakers, that's Dangerous Liaisons). This isn't one of my favorite tropes, to be honest; I think playing cruel love games to get revenge is perhaps the most heartless thing you can do. But I was curious about how Koreans would handle the story, so I watched.

The story isn't completely faithful to the classic French story, although it hits the same notes. Three very attractive and wealthy students play similar dangerous games of love and revenge in this adaptation, but their parents and family dramas are also interwoven. Celloist and student president Choi SuJi (Moon Ga Young), along with her chaebol heir friends Kwon SiHyun and Lee SeJu (Kim Min-jae) are like a dark version of the Three Musketeers.

After SuJi is humiliated by her boyfriend, Lee KiYoung (Lee Jae-kyun), who belittles her and her mother for trying to use him to better their social standing, she is furious and wants revenge. She then goes nuclear when her mother and SiHyun's father become engaged; a marriage neither of the youngsters want for personal reasons. At this point in the series there is a self-harming scene that will be disturbing to some; I found it very distressing to watch.

The trio decide to take their revenge out via Eun TaeHee (Joy), a scholarship student who was KiYoung's first love. They also scheme to ruin his engagement to another sheltered rich girl at the same time. SuJi sends SiHyun to seduce TaeHee and then break her heart, and promises to marry him if he does, which they believe will ruin their parents' intention to marry. All of this is a bit unrealistic, but they're teenagers, so I was willing to suspend my disbelief. SiHyun then of course genuinely falls for TaeHee, which is the beginning of the end for his friendship with SuJi and SeJu.

Woo Do-hwan is stellar in his role as the seducer, as is Kim Min-jae as the comical yet tragic third wheel of the trio (by the end of the series I was more interested in him as a character than the other two, which is saying something.) Moon Ga Young's portrayal of her character was so intense I often felt uncomfortable watching her, but I admire her talent. It was Joy who impressed me most; she was so convincing as the young, poor scholarship student caught up in these dangerous love games. Along with the graphic self-harm scene there are some other instances of moderate violence in this series, especially with SeJu getting beat up by his family, so keep that in mind. Available to watch on Viki.com with lots of commercials.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel