Skip to main content

Pure Romance

Korean TV dramas generally depict poor girls falling for rich men; the kdrama Encounter flips that with an ordinary, free-spirited guy falling for a wealthy older woman when they meet by chance in an exotic place. Together the lead actors make one of the most heart-breaking romantic couples I've ever seen in a series, which is probably why Encounter was so successful.

The unusual story starts off when rich hotel CEO Cha Soo-hyeong (Song Hye-kyo) travels to Cuba to sign a contract to build a hotel there, and crosses the path of vacationing fruit seller Kim Jin-hyuk (Park Bo-gum). She's in an accident that damages his beloved vintage camera, and later he prevents her from taking a bad fall when she passes out. The two then spend a wonderful romantic evening together eating, drinking and even dancing. They plan to meet again the next day, but circumstances prevent that, and the two have to go their separate ways.

Back in Korea Jin-hyuk learns he's landed a job at Donghwa Hotel, and is overjoyed to finally have steady employment. The other shoe drops when he discovers that the hotel's CEO is none other than the beautiful woman he met in Cuba. Soo-hyeong's also stunned to find out her handsome rescuer from that night is now working in her PR department. The attraction between these two should end right there, but instead grows even stronger, resulting in a secret romance that is eventually outed by the media.

When two people from completely different worlds fall in love there's usually conflict over the contrasts in their situations, but this is not the case. Jin-hyuk and Song-hyeong simply fall in love with each other despite their age and status differences, and they are 100% convincing (probably why there were all those rumors about the actors themselves falling in love.) It's everyone else in their lives who try to tear them apart, from Song-hyeong's horrible, scheming ex-mother-in-law, spineless ex-husband and heartless mother to Jin-hyuk's worried and somewhat terrified parents.

There's a lot to love about this series, and Park Bo-gum's depiction of the hero is at the top of my own list. His acting was simply flawless. Song Hye-kyo does an admirable job with the equally difficult role of being a woman who has been maneuvered and manipulated most of her life by some pretty horrible wealthy people, which I imagine wasn't much of a stretch for her. It was how these two actors played off each other than really charmed me. In the end I fell for them both as a star-crossed couple who should never have gotten together, and yet belonged to each other entirely.

I purchased Encounter on DVD, but it's also available on Viki.com. Highly recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel