Skip to main content

My Boys

Meet Beau, one of the two Shetland Sheepdog puppies we've just adopted. Beau is a sable Sheltie, very active and playful, and gorgeous.

This is his brother, Shadow, who is a mostly-black tri-color Sheltie. He's the runt of the litter, and very quiet and sweet, and since I instantly fell in love with him we decided to adopt him as well.

The backstory: last year both of our elderly dogs passed away. I always stay with our pups and hold them in the end so they know they are loved as they leave us. Since we lost them only a month apart it was especially hard on me to go through it twice in such a short time. That's why we waited until this year to start looking for a new dog to adopt.

The pandemic has made it extremely difficult to find puppies to adopt. All of the humane society shelters in our area never have any, or adopt them out the same day they take them in. We prefer Shetland Sheepdogs, as that's the breed we're most familiar with, but we also adopt rescue dogs. Frankly we would have taken any kind of puppy, but we refuse to buy them from stores as those folks use puppy mills. Most reputable breeders either have none available or are charging very high prices. Still, we kept looking and hoping.

By chance I found the name of a local Shetland Sheepdog breeder very close to us and contacted her earlier this year. She didn't have any puppies available, and was obviously reluctant to part with one of her older dogs. I gave her my name and asked her to let us know if the situation changed. I had my guy call last week to check with her, and it turned out that she had a new litter and three puppies still available for adoption. That's how we ended up with Beau and Shadow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel