Skip to main content

In Love with Doom

I actually subscribed to an Asian video streaming service so I could watch the k-drama Doom at Your Service, which I will never regret because they have hundreds of Korean drama series on their site; far more than Netflix. I also took my time watching this series because it was so sad, lovely, thought-provoking and essentially wonderful.

The drama starts with a bang, as a young web novel editor, Tak Dong-Kyeong (Park Bo-young), learns that she's dying from an aggressive brain tumor, which will be causing her more and more pain and impairment as it grows. If she does nothing about the tumor she has only three months to live; if she has a dangerous surgery she live for maybe a year but with significant, permanent impairments.

If this wasn't enough for Dong-Kyeong to handle, on the same day she has an ugly run-in with her boss at work, her younger wastrel brother again tries to wheedle money from her, and and she finds out that her boyfriend is married from his pregnant wife, who throws water in her face at a cafe. The icing on the cake is when a video of the cafe incident makes Dong-Kyeong go viral on the internet as "Adultress of the Week." Naturally Dong-Kyeong goes home and gets drunk, and shouts out a dire wish from her balcony when she sees a shooting star. She asks Doom to come to the world and destroy it.

Somewhere in the eternity of the universe Doom (Seo In-guk), aka the god of everything that disappears, hears the drunken wish. As it happens it's his birthday, and on this day he's allowed to grant any human one wish. He's also sick of his existence as the one who makes misfortunes for humans and sees everything he touches die, so he decides to answer Dong-Kyeong's wish. It's a bit comical when he shows up on Earth to make a contract with the dying young woman, as he has to prove to her that he really is Doom. But once he convinces her of that fact through some very dramatic incidents, they strike an interesting bargain.

Doom offers to keep Dong-Kyeong pain-free for the next hundred days, and help her live her dream life. He'll also grant her one extra wish. At the end of the hundred days she has to wish for him to destroy the world. If she doesn't, she and the rest of the world will live, but the person she loves most will die. Dong-kyeong resists the contract at first, but Doom puts her life on the line, so she accepts his offer -- and then decides to fall in love with Doom so that he'll be the one to die.

I don't know who wrote this drama, but they deserve all the screenwriting awards in Asia. Of course the bargain these two make is nightmarish, especially as Dong-kyeong has to save herself and the world by falling in love with Death, which is basically impossible. Or is it? Doom is not only handsome, intelligent, powerful and (weirdly) tragic, he's necessary. When he doesn't do his job, the world falls into chaos. Dong-Kyeong, who has already had a tragic and unfair life even before she got the tumor, seems as incapable of love as Doom.

And then they fall in love, the kind of epic love that only happens in fairytales. Only this one can't have a happy ending either way.

I liked the questions that this drama asked of the viewers, from What would you choose to save? to Why does everything have to end? I found it both perplexing and reassuring; the kind of philosophical conundrum that makes me want to write. I also thought the large support cast did a fantastic job. Doom's boss, who is basically God/Jesus/Buddha all wrapped into one, appears on the scene to keep things lively. There's also a secondary romance/love triangle between a writer, Dong-Kyeong's team leader and the team leader's brother (who happens to be the writer's first love) that is just as absorbing as the protagonists' story.

Does Dong-Kyeong make the right decision in the end? Given the results (and no spoilers), I thought so. The last episode is what I'd describe as romantic payback for the viewers who hung on until the end, which you don't usually see in k-dramas. I thought it was very sweet and touching, too. Highly recommend if you ever get a chance to see this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel