Skip to main content

Charming

There is so much to love about the k-rom-com series Romance is a Bonus Book: books, copywriting, editing, mystery, the challenge of reinventing yourself as a working woman, and a friends-to-lovers romance that is subtle and slow to build yet delightful. I also fell head over heels with how beautifully the characters were crafted, and how well the wonderful cast depicted them.

Award-winning copywriter Kang Dan-i (Lee Na-young) is at the end of her rope. After taking a ten-year break from her professional career to be a stay-at-home mom, and losing everything when her unfaithful husband dumps her, she discovers no one wants to give her a job. On the verge of absolute disaster she rips up her impressive if dated credentials and applies as an entry-level gopher at her childhood best friend Cha Eun-ho's (Lee Jong-suk) publishing company. She lands the job and does everything she can to become a stellar employee, but her expertise at marketing starts showing through, naturally. She also discovers that Eun-ho, now a successful editor, author and lecturer, has been in love with her since they were kids -- but her old friend also has another secret.

It's very difficult to reinvent yourself; this series could easily be any professional woman/mother's start-over story. I thought the lead actors were very convincing in their roles. Also noteworthy is Kim Yoo-mi, who in particular gave an amazing performance as the director of marketing at Dan-i's workplace. Yoo-mi took on the portrayal of a seemingly cold, hateful woman and slowly developed it into something real, touching and quite inspiring. She also reminds us never to judge someone when we don't know their story.

Available on Netflix in the U.S.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts

This is a story that starts out very sadly, so if you're depressed by the holidays you might want to skip the first part. As far back as I can remember I've dreaded the holidays. Being poor, having constant family troubles and belonging to a strict religion made that time of year always pretty unhappy. I just hunkered down and hoped to get through without being yelled at or punished because I didn't do something I was expected to do, like sit in church for hours without moving or making a sound while a priest spoke mass in Latin. Gifts were uniformly disappointing, too. My mother usually gave me dolls or socks or underwear for Christmas. I understand now as an adult that she was doing the best she could, and trying to save money at the same time, but as a kid I'd been told good children got what they wanted for Christmas. I was a pretty good kid, but while my friends received new bikes and cool toys and lots of treats from Santa, I didn't. I thought San

We Have Backsplash!

Yesterday my guy and I decided to chose this natural stone as the backsplash tiles for our new kitchen counters (which will be in the same quartz I'm holding at the bottom of the photo.) Since all the bids for installing the backsplash came in very high my guy is going to put it in himself; he's done a bit of tile work in the past, too. I swear there is nothing this guy can't do. :)

Detoxing Results

For twenty-four hours I left these five vintage cigar boxes sit with detoxing agents (baking soda, coffee grinds, dryer sheets, vinegar and Febreze) inside them to see which worked best to remove the tobacco/storage odors that came with them. I then removed the agents and did a sniff test. Before we get into the results, a reminder: none of what I do is ever meant to be expert advice, as I am certainly not an expert at anything. Follow my methods at your own risk, and please first consult an actual antique expert conservator or restorer to detox items that have value for you. Okay, let's see how my experiment worked. Baking soda (left) did nothing to remove the odors. I think if I let it sit for a longer period of time it might have done something, but for a 24-hour test it was a complete fail. Coffee grinds (right) removed 100% of the odors, and left behind definite coffee scent. I like that and think it goes very well with wood, but if you don't like the smel