Skip to main content

Coverage

It will be a while before I decide once and for all if I want to dip my toe into self-publication, but I'm starting to play with images to figure out what I want for cover art if I do:

I like the idea of using a visual metaphor rather than some cartoon figures (which seem to be popular in this genre) or a reference to anything in the story. So I came up with this as the first idea. I like these colors, but it also would work in white, gold and rose pink, which would probably have more appeal for the readers.

I also like the idea of using a non-clinch single model cover like this one. Although it's not as abstract, it's still a decent visual metaphor for my female protagonist Victoria. There are three different sleeping scenes in the story, too. Doing the artwork in black and white would also tie in with our hero without going for the obvious more white tiger symbolism.

One more, combining the single model concept with a little black and white thrown in:

Her hair is too long, and I don't care for the colors, but you get the general idea. I want something classy and slightly less genre-centric. I need a look that will easily brand the series, too.

I will not be making my own covers, by the way. As much fun as it is to play on my primitive photoshop program, I'd rather have a pro handle the final art. But these will be helpful in making decisions about color, design and the look I want for the series. Above all, I want simple and attractive.

Snowflake image by Free-Photos from Pixabay

Sleeping girl image by ramicm from Pixabay

Blonde girl image by melancholiaphotography from Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make It Yourself

As we head into December, here are ten ideas for easy handmade gifts: Cookie Exchange: If you live close to your friends invite them over for a cookie exchange. Basically everyone bakes a set amount of their favorite cookies, and these are exchanged at the gathering by lottery, sharing a little from each batch with everyone, or however you want to do it. You can also exchange recipes, too. My neighbor did this once and it was wonderful. Favorite Recipe Cookbook : For my favorite person I found a copy of my favorite cookbook from a vintage bookseller (yes, I am that old) and went through it making notes on all the recipes I used, how I tweaked them, etc. Ornament: There are probably a million free tutorials on how to make your own holiday ornaments, so do some research online. I like to make hanging pomanders , which smell heavenly and are biodegradable after the holidays. Mug Rugs: If you sew, making up a set of mug rugs is simple and easy; I add these every year to my ...

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds is an epic, dazzling film that hurls you into the Korean version of the afterlife while showcasing some of the most impressive special effects I've ever seen in any movie. The story begins with the death of firefighter Kim Ja-Hong (Cha Tae-hyun) who jumps out of a burning building with a child in his arms. The kid lives, but he dies at the scene. Two strangers inform him that he has passed away right on schedule, and toss him into a vortex that takes him to the world of the afterlife, where he meets his three guardians: Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), Haewonmak (Ju Ji-hoon) and Lee Deok-choon (Kim Hyang-gi). At the gates of the afterlife Ja-Hong learns that he is considered a paragon (an exemplary person who lived a noble and self-sacrificing life) and is eligible to be reincarnated -- but there's a catch. First he has 49 days to make it through seven hells in which he will be judged on his sins. His three guardians will help and defend...

Glorious. Kinda

Writing up my thoughts on the Chinese drama You are my Glory is going to be one of those head-scratchers; I liked it, it got annoying, I liked it anyway, it got more annoying. In the end I was left feeling like most of the last third of the series was smacking me on the nose for being a romantic and wishing, not for the first time, I was a screenwriter who could get hired to fix this script. Anyway, okay. The premise for this series is actually pretty good: poor but brilliant aerospace engineer Yu Tu (played by the fabulously handsome Yang Yang) crosses paths with fabulously wealth but not-too-bright actress Qiao Jingjing (portrayed by the genuinely pretty Dilraba Dilmurat) who was his high school classmate. He's looking for a new job that pays better; she's in hot water due to an inappropriate product endorsement snafu, and they end up spending a lot of time together. It's a cross between Notting Hill and Apollo Thirteen, sorta kinda. Yu Tu is in a life crisis ...